Director of Advocacy
Website Maine Association of Nonprofits
The Maine Association of Nonprofits (MANP) is looking for a full-time Director of Advocacy to drive strategic direction and execution of the organization’s advocacy initiatives, which includes building the capacity of the state’s charitable nonprofits to advocate legally and effectively for their missions.
We are Maine’s leading membership organization and comprehensive resource dedicated to strengthening the leadership, voice and management effectiveness of the state’s nonprofit organizations. We support a growing network of over 1,000 members and corporate friends representing a full range of missions with organizations in every county in Maine.
We are also part of an active national network of state nonprofit associations through the National Council of Nonprofits in Washington D.C., and participate regularly in federal and state public policy efforts that impact Maine nonprofits.
The successful candidate will develop and implement MANP’s statewide advocacy programs. They will work with members, staff and volunteers to plan and implement a robust and innovative outreach, engagement and education strategy with activities that cultivate effective community partnerships.
Specifically, the director will:
· Shape and implement the organization’s advocacy priorities in collaboration with the Executive Director, Advocacy Committee and/or Board of Directors.
· Research and develop policy positions and implement collaborative grassroots and/or lobbying strategies to advance advocacy priorities.
· Ensure advocacy priorities align with and advance the organization’s commitments to equity, diversity and inclusion.
· Recruit, steward and engage MANP’s Advocacy Network through a variety of communications channels, including special events.
· Cultivate relationships among nonprofits, philanthropy and government to address shared policy concerns.
· Develop and implement strategies to amplify the collective voice of the sector, including managing “Nonprofit Day at the State House,” gathering relevant data, case studies, and stories to disseminate to key audiences, and helping with coordination of the biennial Adding Up Impact report.
· Pursue opportunities to speak publicly about the sector’s impact.
· Develop/compile resources/tools and coordinate and/or deliver training to educate nonprofit staff and volunteers about elections and legal and effective advocacy.
· Support the Executive Director to raise grant and sponsorship funds to underwrite the MANP Advocacy Program and other MANP operations.
The candidate will join a welcoming team with a passion for promoting, celebrating, and advancing the work of nonprofits as well as a deep commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. We recognize that each employee as a valued member of our team, and work to celebrate and cultivate individual strengths. It is a priority for all MANP employees to feel supported, valued, safe, and connected to our mission.
MANP values a culture of inclusion that celebrates and promotes diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, partnered status, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience. People of color, persons with disabilities, veterans, and intersectional individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Requirements: BA + 5 or more years’ experience in public affairs or related field.
Desired skills/attributes: Collaborative leader and team member; Exceptional oral and written communications skills; Strong project management skills; Public policy and/or lobbying experience; Experience with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint; familiarity with Google for Teams.
MANP offers a comprehensive benefit package, which includes health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, generous paid time off, workplace flexibility (including remote options), and professional and leadership development opportunities.
How to apply: Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Starting salary range: $56,000 – 60,000
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com