Payroll & Benefits Specialist
Website Saco & Biddeford Savings Institution
Saco & Biddeford Savings is a mutual savings bank.
This position is responsible processing payroll, administration of employee benefits, including 401k and pension administration. This position oversees the payroll system.
- Provides professional, courteous and efficient service to all internal and external customers.
- Complies with federal and state banking regulations, as well as with all bank and department policies and procedures.
- Compiles and enters payroll data, including but not limited to commissions, garnishments, insurance, reimbursements, etc.
- Reviews time and attendance data for completeness and accuracy, prepares journal entries and maintains payroll/employee changes.
- Prepares and submits 401(k) file.
- Maintains the payroll information, including but not limited to: inputting employee data, creating reports and maintaining the HRIS/Payroll portal. Works with the payroll provider on system changes.
- Reviews upgrades to payroll system and communicates changes as necessary.
- Maintains payroll procedures manual.
- Runs reports as needed, including those for retirement plan audits and 5500 preparation.
- Assists employees with payroll questions and questions related to payroll system password resetting.
- Trains supervisors in payroll rules and manager role in payroll system. Administers the bank’s overall health insurance, life insurance and other benefit plans. This includes attending Benefit Committee meetings, serving as contact for plan vendors, third party administrators, and coordinating transfer of data to external contacts for services, premiums, and plan administration. The individual ensures that all new employees eligible for benefits receive information to help them make an informed decision about their benefits. The individual is also responsible for effective reenrollment process for active employees and retirees.
- Administers the Bank’s overall health and welfare benefits. Including conducting reenrollment processes for active employees and retirees.
- Manages employee enrollments and processes life status changes, including COBRA events.
- Responds to employee inquiries on plan provisions, benefit enrollments and status changes.
- Research employee benefit issues and provide timely follow-up.
- Works with vendors for escalated support needs, including: plan design, claims administration, and billing.
- Administers the 401(k) Plan, including communicating changes and other plan documents.
- Assists with administration of the pension plan, including assisting current and former employees with their pension benefits.
- Oversees the annual enrollment process, and terminations.
- Educates and supports employees with enrollment, changes, and other benefit concerns.
- Responds to employee inquiries regarding benefit programs. Research benefit issues and employee inquiries in a timely manner.
- Assists with the implementation of new benefit programs.
- Oversees and processes COBRA as applicable.
- Processes employee changes and assures proper approvals; disseminates approved forms.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reconciles monthly carrier invoices.
- Undertakes and manages special projects or assists with other special projects or programs as necessary.
- Completes various reports and surveys.
- Serves on various committees as assigned.
- Attends all required meetings and training.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties or special assignments as required or assigned.
Position Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent with some college or technical school coursework preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of benefit administration experience, preferably in a human resource department.
- Prior experience with payroll preferred.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP Certification preferred (and/or PHR/SPHR).
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation, as well as facilitate satisfactory relationships with bank employees and external customers.
- Proven ability to deliver quality work during times of increased volumes.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to adapt to changes in priorities quickly.
- Interacts harmoniously, professionally, cordially and effectively with others, focusing upon the attainment of bank goals and objectives through a commitment to teamwork.
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, time management and organizational skills.
- Operational competency using Microsoft Office suite; Proficient in Outlook, Word and Excel and other Windows based applications; comfortable learning new software.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Commitment to ongoing learning.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Ability to read/see documents and computer screens, to communicate in person and via the telephone and to operate a computer and other office equipment.
- Is dependable and conforms to punctuality and attendance standards.
- Able to travel to all bank locations.
- Physical surroundings are generally pleasant and comfortable with protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- May sit or stand with freedom of movement on a regular basis.
- Extensive operation of computers and other office equipment requiring dexterity and coordination and frequent use of hands.
- Ability to lift items weighing approximately thirty-five pounds.
Those holding this position must be capable of performing all duties and responsibilities, either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation, as determined by management.
The Bank has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the bank reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Bank may deem appropriate.
To apply for this job please visit www.sbsavings.bank.