Website United Way of Southern Maine
United Way of Southern Maine
Position Title: Relationship Manager
Division: Resource Development
Reports to: Director, Corporate Engagement
Date: March 2023
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented, and successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Southern Maine’s (UWSM’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
The Relationship Manager supports and advances United Way of Southern Maine’s (UWSM’s) mission by identifying, developing, and maintaining high-quality relationships with organizations and individuals to attract and sustain resources that support UWSM’s Community Impact agenda. In addition, this position maximizes fundraising growth through concerted, collaborative efforts in assigned areas of responsibility.
This is a great opportunity for a results-oriented self-starter to engage with key stakeholders within large and small businesses to reach revenue goals, engage the community in UWSM’s work, and create a consistent, positive experience for donors and organizations at every touch point. This outward-facing role requires the Relationship Manager to build strong, mutually beneficial relationships and to deliver on key fundraising goals.
The ideal candidate will have a dynamic and high-energy approach to achieving results and a strong interest in education, financial stability, and health.
Manage a variety of corporate and individual relationships.
· Develops and grows meaningful year-round relationships with key company leaders, company influencers, and other individuals within assigned areas of responsibility.
· Works effectively with other teams at UWSM to provide appropriate support and value to partners.
· Conducts regular in-person and virtual meetings, as appropriate, with partners and prospects to expand UWSM’s influence.
· Develops and uses knowledge about UWSM organizational mission, goals, Community Impact strategies, and community needs to communicate the UWSM message to external parties effectively.
Update and set goals on account plans to realize significant growth in each account
· Develops and implement strategies to achieve revenue goals.
· Set goals and action steps needed to engage accounts year-round.
· Works with staff and volunteers to drive plan execution and manage action steps and results from these efforts.
· Tracks and analyzes revenue generation, retention, visits, and key business activity throughout the year.
· Provides regular activity status, updates projections, and conducts account analysis to build and deliver on business goals, monitor results, and address challenges.
Cultivate volunteer relationships that connect companies and individuals with UWSM
· Provides a positive experience for volunteers and temporary Loaned Executives to achieve revenue goals.
· Assists volunteer campaign chairs at companies in planning and executing employee
Campaigns by using effective communication, organization, and customer service skills.
· Fosters creative thinking and facilitates future partnerships within the corporate accounts.
· Supports volunteers on key visits throughout the year.
Manage and inspire volunteers and volunteer campaign groups
· Develops and deepens connections within the community through year-round engagement.
· Inspires Employee Campaign Managers (ECMs) to dedicate generosity of time, influence, and resources.
· Provides opportunities for ECMs to recognize their valuable role in Community Impact work through their successful workforce campaigns, year-round communication, increased volunteerism, and advocacy.
Organize relationship management and donor responsibilities efficiently and effectively.
· Develops and execute a comprehensive plan to successfully deploy individual time, UWSM resources, and volunteer time against revenue objectives.
· Maintains accurate and detailed donor and account records in the donor database (Andar) and other systems to analyze the plan’s effectiveness against objectives.
Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent. Significant fundraising experience or equivalent considered instead of a degree.
· 3+ years of fundraising or sales experience.
· Commitment to the mission of United Way of Southern Maine.
· Demonstrated success working independently and with a team.
· Focused fundraising experience with an applied emphasis on customer relationship building.
· Demonstrated ability to manage a portfolio of assigned relationships to achieve results. Demonstrated ability to influence others to invest in UWSM community impact strategies and programs.
· Superb communication skills (written and verbal) with an ability to effectively relate with a diverse group of individuals or organizations. Effective listening skills are a must.
· Proven ability to successfully execute a plan utilizing strategic thinking.
· Commitment to excellence and proactive problem solver.
· Solid computer skills (familiarity with customer relationship management systems preferred).
· Significant experience and comfort in Excel are a requirement.
· High-energy, outcome-focused individual with a positive “can-do” outlook who can manage ambiguity and change.
· Significant account management skills; demonstrated success in achieving revenue goals.
Leads temporary Loaned Executives for several weeks per year.
This job operates in a professional office environment.
A valid driver’s license, verifiable auto insurance, cell phone, and personal vehicle use are required.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Normal office hours are 8:30 AM-5 PM; frequent additional events and meetings outside of normal business hours as necessary, including 7:30 AM meetings and evening events. At UWSM, we are focused on creating connections within the Southern Maine community. Our current hybrid model is focused on doing just that, requiring our team members to spend 16 hours per week creating connections. Examples of creating connections include office time, external meetings/gatherings, training, volunteer engagement events, and even a cup of coffee with an internal/external partner.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Why choose the United Way of Southern Maine?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time and creating community change that benefits every community member. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, families are financially stable, and people are healthy.
We have a staff of 45 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Southern Maine offers:
· Convenient office locations (Portland & Kennebunk) with free parking
· Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
· Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program
· Generous PTO schedule
· Paid volunteer time off
· An excellent team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
United Way of Southern Maine is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities and encouraging persons of all diversity types to apply.
United Way of Southern Maine has identified a set of Core Values as our essential tenets. These define and describe whom United Way of Southern Maine will endeavor to be in internal and external situations.
At United Way of Southern Maine, we are:
· Community Centered
· Results Focused
· Intentionally Collaborative
· Committed to Excellence
· Leading with Integrity
Applications are accepted through March 31st, 2023. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Cameron Peden, Senior Director, Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com