Director of Media Relations & University Events
Website University of Maine at Augusta
UMA transforms the lives of students of every age and background
The University of Maine at Augusta is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Director of Media Relations & University Events. The Director will increase understanding and appreciation for UMA, its people, scholarship, and thought leadership to constituents within the UMA community and the general public by generating coverage in national, regional, and local media. On behalf of UMA, they will develop strategic relationships, identify opportunities to increase awareness of UMA and generate earned media placement. The Director will also oversee and provide direction for high-visibility events (e.g. Commencement, Convocation, legislature visits, etc.). In collaboration with the Associate Vice President of Strategic Marketing & Communications and the Vice President of Enrollment Management & Marketing, they will develop a media strategy and responses related to crisis communications.
A full position description can be found here.
Salary: The hiring salary range for this position is in the low to mid-60s and is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, evenings and weekends as necessary.
Benefits: The University provides a highly competitive benefits package that includes: holidays, vacation, and sick time; health, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; a tuition waiver program for employees and their eligible dependents; a 403(b) retirement plan with a 10% university contribution, and more. View our Benefits Information Summary to learn more.
UMA transforms the lives of students of every age and background across the State of Maine and beyond through access to high-quality distance and on-site education, excellence in student support, civic engagement, and professional and liberal arts programs.
UMA is the third-largest public university in Maine. In addition to its main campus in the state’s capital, UMA also serves students at its campus in Bangor (UMA Bangor) and through UMA Centers around the state. With its multiple locations and long-term expertise in online and distance learning, UMA is generally considered the University of Choice for Mainers of all ages who want to attend college without uprooting their lives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Media Relations, Public Relations, or a similar field, or an
equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Five to seven years of relevant experience in journalism, media relations, public relations, or a
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with people of all
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience in event planning, coordination, and budgeting
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and direct multiple projects with varied deadlines
- Ability to exercise effective judgment in an executive-level administrative role in a dynamic
- Strong team player and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and calm under pressure
- Superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Three to five years of experience in a higher education setting
- Superior verbal communication skills
- Comfortable behind and in front of the camera
- Prior experience serving on an executive-level team to coordinate the activities of colleagues in support of the chief executive leader and the organization
- Experience in or knowledge of the nature, operation, and challenges facing public institutions of higher education
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial skills
- Strong research, analytical, problem-solving, and planning skills
Materials must be submitted via “Apply for Position” below. You will need to create an applicant profile and upload:
- a cover letter that fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications
- a resume/curriculum vitae
- contact information for three professional references.
You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. We are not able to consider applicants who require Visa Sponsorship support.
Review of applications will begin on May 29, 2023. Materials received after May 28, 2023, will be considered at the discretion of the university.
The successful applicant is subject to appropriate background screening.
In complying with the letter and spirit of applicable laws and pursuing its own goals of diversity, the University of Maine at Augusta does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, age, disability physical or mental, genetic information, or veterans or military status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 5748 Boudreau Hall, Room 101, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207-581-1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).
To apply for this job please visit uma.hiretouch.com.