Microenterprise Specialist, UMA Bangor Campus
Website University of Maine at Augusta
UMA transforms the lives of students of every age and background
Do you want to be part of a team that creates an empowering environment for Maine people to define and achieve their career, financial, and small business goals? If so, we have the perfect job for you!
New Ventures Maine (NVME) is a statewide education and economic development program administered through the UMA/University of Maine System. The mission of NVME is to help Maine people succeed in the changing economy and achieve economic security for themselves and their families. NVME achieves its mission by providing training and individual coaching in planning careers, starting businesses, managing money, building assets, and developing leaders.
NVME has an immediate opening for a full-time Microenterprise Specialist to coordinate and provide business and asset development training and other services to start-up and early-stage entrepreneurs in the Bangor area, surrounding counties, and statewide online.
- outreach, planning, and delivering microenterprise and financial education
- training and assistance to individuals engaged in self-employment or microenterprise development, including low-income and non-traditional entrepreneurs.
The position involves working as a team with statewide NVME and University staff, developing and maintaining resources and organizational partnerships that contribute to microenterprise development and small business success.
This is a soft money-funded position. The continuation of the position is contingent upon funding external to the University and University needs, which has been successfully secured for the past 43 years.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, evenings and weekends as necessary.
Salary: The hiring salary range for this position is $40,000 to $45,000 and is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Benefits: The University provides a highly competitive benefits package that includes: holidays, vacation, and sick time; health dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; a tuition waiver program for employees (free) and their eligible dependents (discounted); a 403(b) retirement plan with a 10% university contribution, and more. View our Benefits Information Summary to learn more.
About the University:
UMA transforms the lives of students of every age and background across the State of Maine and beyond through access to high-quality distance and on-site education, excellence in student support, civic engagement, and professional and liberal arts programs.
UMA is the third-largest public university in Maine. In addition to its main campus in the state’s capital, UMA also serves students at its campus in Bangor (UMA Bangor) and through UMA Centers around the state. With its multiple locations and long-term expertise in online and distance learning, UMA is generally considered the university of choice for Mainers of all ages who want to attend college without uprooting their lives.
Employees in the University of Maine System are required to comply with the UMS COVID protocols which currently include but are not limited to, being vaccinated, obtaining a qualified vaccination exemption, and/or participating in regular COVID testing. Further information can be found on our Together for Maine site.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; good customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to organize and manage workflow, including attention to detail and deadlines
- Experience and knowledge of group process, training, and adult learning theory and practice
- Knowledge or experience in small business operation and management and personal financial capability
- Experience in computer applications, mobile technology, and distance learning
- Master’s degree in a related field (business administration, financial services) or equivalent experience as owner/manager of a small business
- One or more years of experience in microenterprise development training and advising
- Understanding of business and economic development that contributes to economic security and address gender, racial, and other equity issues
Materials must be submitted via “Apply for Position” below. You will need to create an applicant profile and upload:
- a cover letter that fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications
- a resume/curriculum vitae
- contact information for three professional references.
You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. We are not able to consider applicants who require Visa Sponsorship support.
Review of applications will begin December 12, 2022. Materials received after December 11, 2022, will be considered at the discretion of the university.
The successful applicant is subject to appropriate background screening.
The University of Maine at Augusta is an EEO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following office has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 Boudreau Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754 or at 207.581.1226.
To apply for this job please visit uma.hiretouch.com.