Part-Time Faculty, Dental Health, Lewiston
Website University of Maine at Augusta
UMA transforms the lives of students of every age and background
UMA transforms the lives of students of every age and background across the State of Maine and beyond through access to high-quality distance and on-site education, excellence in student support, civic engagement, and professional and liberal arts programs.
UMA is the third-largest public university in Maine. In addition to its main campus in the state’s capital, UMA also serves students at its campus in Bangor (UMA Bangor) and through UMA Centers around the state. With its multiple locations and long-term expertise in online and distance learning, UMA is generally considered the University of Choice for Mainers of all ages who want to attend college without uprooting their lives.
The University of Maine at Augusta is seeking qualified individuals to expand its pool of part-time faculty of clinical instructors for its Dental Health Programs. This position is required to teach in person at its UMA Lewiston Center. Additional information about the University’s Dental Health Programs can be found at www.uma.edu/academics/programs/dental-programs/.
Review of applications is ongoing. Please note that general part-time faculty postings are to establish applicant pools. We anticipate a need for instructors for the Fall and Spring semesters of 2023-2024; however, positions may or may not be immediately available.
The University of Maine at Augusta-Lewiston Center anticipates a part-time opening for both adjunct dental hygiene and dentist faculty to provide instruction to our dental hygiene students in the clinical setting. The clinic labs for the fall semester are offered on Monday, Wednesday (7:45- 5:30) and Thursday afternoons (12:45- 5:30). In the spring semester, we offer clinics Monday through Friday (7:45-5:30). There is potential for teaching additional courses, contingent upon program needs.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- clinical grading using an electronic grading portfolio
- correspondence with students in person and via email
- use of an online learning management system (Brightspace) and clinical and instructional software
- course coordination meetings with the Program Coordinator and other faculty members; and
required orientation, educational methods courses, continuing education courses, and program-specific pieces of training.
- Approximately one to two hours per week of outside grading will be required, depending on the number of clinical teaching sessions assigned.
Part-time temporary faculty members may be asked to teach in subsequent semesters based on course availability, schedule, funding, and performance. Continuation is subject to the terms of the PATFA bargaining agreement and other applicable College and University policies.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and previous college teaching experience, in accordance with the PATFA contract.
Benefits: The University of Maine System offers a wide range of benefits for employees including but not limited to tuition benefits (employess and dependents), comprehensive insurance coverage including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and short and long-term disability, as well as retirement plan options.
Employees in the University of Maine System are required to comply with the UMS COVID protocols which currently include but are not limited to, being vaccinated, obtaining a qualified vaccination exemption, and/or participating in regular COVID testing. Further information can be found on our Together for Maine website.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science, education, or related field
- Basic computer skills including the use of Microsoft Word and email
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Current CPR certification for healthcare providers
- Dental Hygiene Applicants: Licensed Maine dental hygienist with local anesthesia authority in good standing or eligible for Maine licensure with licensure obtained prior to their start date. Must be a graduate of a Commission on Dental Accreditation dental hygiene program. Must have at least three years of successful clinical experience.
- Dentist Applicants: Licensed Maine DMD/DDS in good standing or eligible for Maine licensure with licensure obtained prior to their start date. Must be a graduate of a Commission on Dental Accreditation dental program.
- Successful teaching experience in higher education and working in learning management systems (e.g. Brightspace, Blackboard, Canvas, etc.)
- Certified Dental Assistant (e.g. DANB)
- Licensed Maine Expanded Functions Dental Assistant in good standing
Materials must be submitted via “Apply for Position” below. You will need to create an applicant profile and upload:
- a cover letter that fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications
- a resume/curriculum vitae
- contact information for three professional references
You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. We are not able to consider applicants who require Visa Sponsorship support.
Review of applications will be ongoing. Materials received after May 1, 2023, will be considered at the discretion of the university.
The successful applicant is subject to appropriate background screening.
The University of Maine at Augusta is an EEO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following office has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 Boudreau Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754 or at 207.581.1226.
To apply for this job please visit uma.hiretouch.com.